I have a love/hate relationship with storms. I love watching the wind whip around, the sheets of rain, the lightening. However, I live in Ohio, therefore storms can result in tornadoes which I hate. Don't get me wrong there is a small part of me that would love to be a storm chaser, but the rest of me is terrified. I mean 95% of the time the sirens go off there isn't a tornado, but I take precautions anyway. We have a routine in our house. Prior to actually living in a house, if we were under a tornado watch we would put the cats into their carriers, ready to go if we needed to head to a safer place in our apartment building. It's been much easier living in the rental house because currently our basement is finished so we just haul everybody down to the basement and chill.
Last night was no different (which, by the way, is pure crazy, it's November, not the season of tornadoes), when the TV sent out the signal that there was a warning we rounded all the animals up and headed downstairs. However, we couldn't find our one cat, Izzy. We used all our old standbys, shaking the treat container, pouring out some food, but she wouldn't come. We started to panic because we had been in and out of the house for the past few hours and Izzy likes to jet out into the back yard when she can. After searching everywhere in the house we came to the conclusion that she must be outside. So we grabbed our flashlights and the treats and spent the next hour combing the area around our house and our neighbors houses. We turned up nothing. We had decided to take a break and wait for the rain to let up when suddenly there she was sitting in the kitchen, completely dry. I'm really surprised I didn't crush her when I scooped her up and started crying. Which Izzy was completely against because she isn't a lovely cat. So we were back together safe and sound. Thank goodness. I still have no idea where she was because we tore through all the closets and her favorite sleeping spots looking for her but I don't care because she is safe.
Have you ever had a scary moment with your fur baby?
How We’re Organizing Our Digitized Photos
4 weeks ago
Ugh I SWEAR that our pets continuously try to give me a heart attack. I don't know if you read on my blog or not, but we've had 2 of our 3 get stuck IN the mechanical workings of our couch. We've also had the mysterious missing cat quite a few times (including one similar to yours where we were FRANTICALLY searching everywhere for like an hour then all of a sudden she just appeared like "hey whats the fuss?"). We've also had our dog run away which was probably the scariest thing. I used to not necessarily tie him out in the back yard when he went to do his business because he is always so good about going right out and coming back in... until one night when he saw a bunny. He ran all the way into the wood across the street from us and I was flipping my shit. Thank God for his squeaky football that coaxed him back home! lol.
ReplyDeleteAlso-- you're such a grown up for having a tornado protocol! I've honestly never worried about a tornado even though I know they come through here. I guess I'm one of those "it won't happen to us" kind of people. Usually I'm not even aware that it is happening because I watch more netflix than actual tv so I don't get the notices (including last night-- no idea). And you can't hear the sirens very well in our development. If you're listening and its quiet you can, but if you're going about your life you don't hear it at all.