Saturday, November 3, 2012

Eight Days: Day Two

I woke up around 6:30 on Tuesday morning after maybe three hours of sleep. I decided to just shower and get on with it because I really wanted to get back to the hospital to see what was happening. I got ready fairly quickly and then took the dogs out. Michelle had slept on the living room couch and was sitting there when I went downstairs. I told her what had happened the night before and thanked her profusely for being there for me and helping out. She had to get to work that morning so she took off, leaving just me and my mom. We were ready to go by 8 so we were to the hospital by 8:05. I seriously cannot say enough how wonderful it was to have the hospital so close.

Once at the hospital we hit up Tim Horton's for some coffee and a donut, (it was so nice to have some different options from the regular cafeteria food) then headed up to Andy's room. It was such a relief to see him that morning. It seemed the atmosphere in the room was much more relaxed and less hurried. He seemed to look better even though he was obviously uncomfortable, he wasn't as pale or confused as the night before, which was wonderful for me. He told me that they were going to take him for a colonoscopy and an endoscopy some time today to see if they could find the source of the bleeding. He was nervous about this but I told him that it needed to be done so we could get him out of there. My mom and I ended up staying a couple hours until it looked like Andy needed a rest. I knew his mom, Barb, would be to our house soon and I thought it'd be best to wait for her there.

We returned home but it was such a nice day we decided to run the dogs to the dog park so they could exert some energy. We got back to the house right about the same time that Andy's mom got there. We got her settled in and then took her to the hospital to see Andy. I think this shook me up some because she hadn't seen him the night before and he definitely looked bad. We all visited for a little bit but decided to leave a little before his procedures so we could grab lunch. I asked his day nurse Larissa to call me when he was out and able to see us. The three of us ran to Wendy's for lunch and then went back to the house. We all decided to take a nap while we waited for Andy's nurse to call.I think I slept maybe an hour and a half. I got up and waited downstairs with Barb for the phone call, they called around 4:30 and we went right over to see him.

At the hospital we spoke with Andy's nurse who told us that the doctor didn't see anything in the upper GI or the lower GI. The next step was for Andy to swallow a little pill camera that would take pictures of his small intestine, which would be done the next day. He was kind of groggy from the meds they gave him but we sat with him until 5:30 when we decided we needed to get back to the house. My sister-in-law had sweetly offered to bring over dinner for everyone and as an added bonus we got to see my nephews who can light up any bad day.

She got to the house around 6:30ish and brought City BBQ which was delicious. We all sat around and played with the boys after dinner. I sent videos to Andy, which helped to cheer him up. My older nephew Charlie got caught in our cat tree, which was hi-larious, and I may have taken a video with my phone rather than helped him. They hung around until 8ish and after that I got the moms settled in and decided to sneek back to the hospital.

Once I got there Andy seemed more alert and up and his nurse, Mike,from the night before was back. I really liked him because he said that I could visit whenever instead of during regular visiting hours, plus he told us everything he knew about Andy's case as simply and concisely as possible. He answered every one of my questions. It was great to have such a wonderful staff of nurses for Andy, it really helped make me feel at ease. After talking with Mike, I slipped off my shoes and crawled into Andy's hospital bed with him. We held hands and talked. I told him I was scared, he told me not to worry. We talked about anything and everything and to be honest I didn't want to leave that night. I wanted to sleep at Andy's bedside, holding his hand for dear life, because even though it seemed he was out of the woods, I couldn't help but fear that he would slip away in the night while I slept right down the road. I eventually started drifting off right next to Andy and he convinced me to go home. He knew my fears and assured me that I wouldn't be getting rid of him that easily. I left around 10:30 and headed home.

At home I said a quick hello to Barb who told me my mom had gone to bed earlier. I headed up to bed but decided to read for an hour or two to relax my mind. I ended up reading until almost one in the morning before letting myself try to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. ((hugs)) I can't imagine having to LEAVE at night. Can't wait to hear how the camera pill went. How scary not knowing what was causing it.

    ReplyDelete