Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Eight days: Days six, seven, and eight

The last leg of Andy's hospital stay was rather uneventful, which was a welcome reprieve from the previous days of chaos. I spent quite a bit of time at the hospital, just sitting with him while we waited for his digestive system to start moving again. The doctors wanted his system to start working before they would feel comfortable releasing him. It was really a lot of waiting and, unfortunately, a lot of pain for poor Andy. We originally thought he might be out on day seven or eight, which would have been on a Sunday or Monday but things were slow to start so he wasn't actually released until Tuesday afternoon.

The whole debacle didn't end with the hospital stay, the next few weeks at home were really rough. I stayed home from work that first week to take care of him, which was needed because he could barely get up and down the stairs with help. I guess perhaps the title of this post should be days six through fourteen, but I'm not really going to document the weeks at home since it's mostly boring recovery stuff.

I'm happy to say its been nearly a month since this incident and Andy is doing well physically. We are both a little emotionally drained. I can't even begin to describe how scary and upsetting this whole ordeal was. I wrote these posts to hopefully help myself get over this and move forward. I think that it's working. Some days I still look at Andy and fear grips my heart and I have to fight off tears. I came so close to losing that wonderful man, my best friend, I just can't believe it, and I can't believe by some miracle he is still here, smiling at me. But those days are coming further apart and my hope is one day not too far down the line I will be able to look back and just remember this as a bad time in our lives.

If you have read this series of posts to this point I have to thank you. Thank you for sharing in my fear, in my sadness, and for helping me to get over this terrible incident. It's really lovely to know there is someone out there reading our story.

1 comment:

  1. So glad there is a happy ending to this story, and that recovery went (and I'm sure, is still going!) well. I hate the feeling when you have a close call- it's nice to have a reason to hold that person even closer though, not that you need it!

    ReplyDelete