Friday, October 22, 2010

Newlywed Problem: Couple friends

Before I dive into this post, I first have to say that I am loving my new job. It's been a great few days there and I am so excited that I don't feel like I'm going to work. Never in my entire work life (for the past 10 years) have I had a job where I don't feel like I'm actually working because I enjoy it. Now, I realize it is still pretty early in the game so there is time to get into it a little more a realize that I don't enjoy it. However, when I talk to everyone there and hear how they have been their for years and what a great place it is to work I feel pretty hopeful. Now I will get back to vacation recaps on Monday but today something else came up.

Andy and I have encountered our first dual snag as newlyweds: the friend issue. I'm not talking about him spending too much time with his friends or me spending too much time with mine, I'm talking about not having many friends in our new town in general. First, I will say our situation has a lot to do with it, the fact that we moved to a new city, away from the majority of the people we hang out with has a lot to do with it. However, I think another problem we face is where we are in life, a lot of people we know are in different stages of life than us. There are people with babies, or people that are single and living it up. Which is cool, I love babies and I love to party, but we are somewhat in between all of that. We're newlyweds, not quite ready for babies but we are for sure over the party all the time life. There are a few people very near and dear to us that are great friends, they are also 3 hours away. We are spending a lot of time together, which isn't a bad thing but we both realize that having some friends nearby that we could hang with during the week or just call up to go out with would be great. Problem is that the people we work with aren't really in the same stages as us and other than work there aren't a lot of ways to meet new people. So what to we do? How to we find some peeps to hang out with? We have joined a class (I will get more in depth on that at a later time), which is a start but I know it's going to take some doing to find people that we have stuff in common with and get along with.

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to try to rectify it? Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment