Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Big Decision

So yesterday I told you we decided to stay in Columbus and why. That still leaves Andy and I with some major housing decisions. See our rental house lease is up in September, we don't really want to stay here, the house is okay as well is the neighborhood but we are kind of far our from the city and my work. So we decided that we wanted to move, there were certain places we had in mind, closer to Brother and Sis-in-law Tal was something we wanted.

With all the chaos of the house hunting over the past 6 months, I decided for giggles to look at how much it would be to build a new house and it was surprisingly affordable. I showed Andy and he was surprised as well. After some perusing online we decided to meet with a building company, it was then that we discovered the Grant for Grads program. Something I had no idea about, apparently in Ohio if you graduated from an Ohio high school and have graduated with any advanced degree in the last 18 months you can qualify for a grant equal to 2.5% of the cost of the home. Yeah seriously, why isn't this in sky writing and on bill boards? The bad news is that this is the last month that I qualify for this program, so if we wanted to build we had to decide quickly.

 Some serious discussions took place as well as viewing of the models, floor plans and talking with friends and family. We couldn't really see a down side, a new house, exactly how we wanted it for the same price as a good house on the market. We do have to choose within the communities which means locations are limited. We decided that even with limited location we decided to build. That's right in the next 6 (or so) months we will be in a new house!!! We chose the Rosemary floor plan with 4 bedrooms and a bonus room! Excited doesn't even begin to cover what Andy and I are feeling, we are ecstatic!!! Now I guess we will be covering the building process and moving into our first home! YAY!

If I still have any readers out there do you know anyone who has built or have you built yourself? How was the process?

No comments:

Post a Comment