Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It's only been 3 months...

That's not that long, right? Right. At least I'll tell myself that to make myself feel better. So, no news is normally good news right. That hasn't necessarily been the case for us the last few months. Remember how we were suppose to move back to Toledo and were house hunting? Well that hasn't worked out very well. Here's our tale of house hunting woes and some big news.

We were house hunting in Toledo and found a couple great starter houses in some great areas. The first house we put an offer in on we found out already had an offer on it for 2 weeks (umm, why didn't you tell us before viewing the house???) but that turned out to be a good thing it was such a tiny house that there wouldn't be much room for us to grow. The second house was a fantastic find, wonderful neighborhood, great house, good schools. We put an offer on it and so did someone else, they asked us both to put our best offer on the table and we ended up losing out to the other offer. That one was a tough loss and I was ready for a break after that, which we took. Then we found house number three, great price, good schools, but needed some work, mostly cosmetic, so we thought, what the heck, lets go for it. And our offer was accepted!!! YAY US!!! Right? That's what we thought. So we go into inspection and find a whole mess of things wrong with the place including some pretty serious foundation issues, but since it was just a general inspection we brought in foundation repair to get an estimate. $20,000 in repairs. We ended up having to walk away from that house. It was really tough but it turns out to be a good thing. Let me explain.

During this whole house hunting debacle, I had been job hunting in Toledo. In fact I had been job hunting since January and still hadn't found anything. A couple days after we walked away from the last house I was going through some e-mail and seeing how many jobs I had applied to and the number was in the 100's. Seriously. I showed Andy and we ended up having a very serious conversation on the whole Toledo move. We had to make a tough decision, as much as we wanted to go back to Toledo we weren't willing to go back and sacrifice my job (or for me to take a menial job just to have a job). It's been really hard because I hate being away from my family but I realize that I need to have a job and if I wasn't married I would have to be where the jobs are and that is here in Columbus. I have a great job here, I have every other weekend off, I have the opportunity to advance. It makes the most sense logically. As for Andy he will remain working from home (he is still in the process of working that out with his bosses), which is a win for him. So now that we know we are staying in Columbus what are we going to do house wise? Well you'll have to come back to the next post and find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment