Yay interiors! The interior selections is the most exciting part of building. It's really the one way to make our house our own. About a week and a half after we signed our contracts and made our structural selections, we had our meeting with our designer to make all of our interior selections. Yes you read right ALL. Our appointment was scheduled for 3 and a half hours to give you an indication. Andy and I headed to the design center around 11 AM sat down with our designer, H to discuss all our selections.
The first portion of our meeting we reviewed the selections we had made so far. We had made some general selections in our initial meetings, like to have tile in the master bath and kitchen but not any actual color selections. After reviewing those items we headed over to the exterior portion of the selections to choose our siding and shutter color. I have to say this was probably the most difficult decisions because it can't be changed easily, light fixtures and hardware easy peasy, siding=not so much.What made it a tad easier was the fact that quite a few houses in our future community is some shade of tan. While tan is lovely and I liked some of the selections in that shade range, Andy and I decided to be different and choose from the shades of grey and one shade of green/gray since not nearly as many houses are this color. We ended up with a platinum grey which looks almost white* and midnight blue shutters (which will also be the color of our front door). After that we went over to front and interior doors, from there we choose door fixtures, after that cupboards, then counters, then flooring, then tile, then trim and paint.
The process was relatively simple, the designer just walked you through all the choices you had to make showing you the different options you had with each area. It made it really easy because M/I has different levels for everything, in our house level 1 was standard so if you wanted something greater than that you had to pay more. We got a deal with some things like level 2 cupboards and stainless steel appliances, which were an upgrade promotion they were running when we signed. The fact that each upgrade ups the total price of the house really made us think about what was important to us and what we didn't really care as much about. I found that having limited selections set up in levels really made the process easy and we were done pretty quickly (Only 2 and a half hours instead of 3). I would explain our final selections but I don't have pictures to do them justice so I'll just post the one I have.
Obviously it's hard to envision it when you have no clue what the house looks like but I promise you that I think we did a fabulous job and it will look fantastic once it is done. I promise at some point I will get some more detailed pictures up here and explain exactly what each thing is in boring minutiae detail (like when I run out of stories to tell you about building). Maybe I'll even let Andy post about that, because honestly I think he is more excited about the selections than I am.
Hope I didn't bore you too much folks. Until next time...
*We now are reconsidering this color because we have finally seen a house with this siding and it looks dirty white and it's kind of blinding. Instead we are leaning towards a Cape Cod Grey which is darker. The midnight blue shutters will remain. Thoughts/opinions anyone?
How We’re Organizing Our Digitized Photos
4 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment