Friday, March 9, 2012

A New Toy

Andy and I decided to splurge and replace my dying laptop with an iPad. At first I was super hesitant because it feels like a toy to me and not a computer. However, once I realized that the majority of my computer use is web browsing I figured what the heck. I still have my laptop if I really need to type out a document or access my files, the only issue is the charging port is wonky so I need to have the charging cord just so in order for it to work. Basically it's kind of a pain to browse on so we decided my laptop will go into my office and the iPad will be my new living room toy. We got it Wednesday and I'm fairly impressed with it so far, in fact I'm blogging from it right now as a test and it is passing with flying colors. Any other iPad users out there? What are your favorite apps?

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new toy! We got one a few months ago because we got a good deal on it and Brian wanted it, although I didn't really see the "point" for us since we both have iPhones and MacBooks. To be honest I've hardly used it because I'm just a laptop person and having one on my lap doesn't seem cumbersome to me at all, but Brian looooooves the iPad and has hardly used his laptop at all since-- so I guess it is really just preference!

    But, I did go to this "iPad apps for lawyers" thing the other day that actually taught me a lot and showed me some great productivity apps that I feel like would be great for anyone using the iPad as their main device.

    1) Dropbox (free). Allows you to share files between your iPad and other devices. Its a good way to store files on your iPad because the iPad isn't really meant for storing a lot of files.

    2) Notability (0.99). Note-taking app. Really good for quick documents because Notepad kind of sucks. Allows you to type, draw, and record voice. Super easy to use.

    3)TurboScan (1.99). PDF scanner. Allows you to take a picture of a document with the iPad and it will convert it into a pdf as though you scanned it. Not sure how much other people need this? But I feel like I'm always needing to scan 1 page documents and i hate our scanner so this was a great find for me.

    In "fun" type apps, I use LoseIt on my phone which is a great way to track diet/exercise. And our favorite games are temple run, zombie highway, unblock me, and angry birds. Oh, and Pandora is awesome for music, I use that every day.

    Also, if you think you'll be doing a lot of typing (like blogging!) you might want to get a case that has a keyboard in it. I'm considering one of those so I could use the iPad more because i haaaaaate typing on the screen (which I guess is mostly why I don't use it). From what I've been told, Zagg makes by far the best case/keyboard for the iPad.

    Hope this helps, have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete