Monday, March 5, 2012

Shape up!

One of our goals for this year was to get our butts in shape. Andy and I have fallen prey to the if-you-are-happy-then-you-eat-more/gain-weight-stereotype that I have heard many people in happy relationships do. So we decided to start taking better care of ourselves. Andy already was a pretty healthy eater but I am a lover of carbs, snacks, and junk food, I would eat mashed potatoes and ice cream every night for dinner if I could. So my first goal was to start eating healthier before anything else. I took out the book The Women's Health Diet: 27 Days to Sculpted Abs, Hotter Curves, & a Sexier, Healthier You! and read it cover to cover in a few days. I really liked the book but I wouldn't really call it a diet; it's just eating better. I sort of adopted the eating habits they cover in the book and slightly modified the way they distribute the calories through the day since I work more nights. I am really simplifying this but basically the book says (read it if you are looking for a good diet book) more protein, whole grains, fruits and veggies, less sugar, carbs and processed food. I have to say I have probably cut my carb consumption in half, which is incredible for me and I've also really increased my protein intake which is a feat for me because I have never been a big fan of meat. I probably eat just as much now as I did before but I eat a lot healthier. I'll be honest I haven't been sticking to it as much as I should but I have got the hang of it and I am going to be a little more strict now since we are getting closer to vacation.

Being 70 some days out from our vacation I realized I needed to do more than just watch what I eat, it was time to start working out. Ugh. I hate working out. Every time I get started I end up crashing after a week or two because I just resent it. So I decided to try something new this time. I broke down and bought Zumba for the Wii and I love it! I have been doing it for about a week now and it's been great, I've combined it with some light weight lifting and ab work outs and I have to say that I think I found a something I can stick with. What's nice is that I can mix it up if I need to. There are classes in our area I can hit up if I need the extra motivation but when I don't feel like going out I can do it in my living room. The best part is the workouts are only 20 minutes so there is no reason for me not to do it, 20 minutes is nothing! Plus I can do more if I feel like it.

I'm really excited and really motivated to get myself healthy by the time we go on vacation in May!

Anyone have any tips for staying motivated and sticking with a diet?

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! I just started over again (AGAIN) like 2 weeks ago. I really like the Lose It app. It tracks all your food and working out and whatnot. I've been trying really hard to stay motivated with the gym too but its so hard because Brian hasn't wanted to go with me! I have actually been contemplating the Zumba for xbox but I wasn't sure if it was worth the money. With your endorsement though I might pull the trigger-- I have always heard it was fun. And I think it'd be nice to have something to do here on days when the gym just isn't going to happen.

    ReplyDelete