Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Things my dogs have taught me

Since getting Murphy I have learned quite a few valuable lessons about myself, running our household and life itself. I guess Pepper had taught be a few things previously but she was just...easy...that's the right word, she was an easy dog. There were some rough moments in the beginning but she was almost a year old when I found her most of the puppy behavior was out of her system. Except for chewing, like when she chewed on every dining table leg on my parent's formal dining table. Hey, I said we had a few rough moments. But Murphy is a whole 'nother can of worms. I'll be honest, I have never had a puppy, at least not one since I have been out of my parents house. And let's be honest, when you have a team of 5 people taking shifts taking the pup out and watching him, it's a smidgen easier. So what have I learned exactly, you might ask? Well here's a little list for you.

  1. Two dogs are better than one in the sense that they entertain each other...growling and wrestling all over the living room while you try to watch TV.
  2. Having animals is like parent boot camp, especially puppies, these little stinkers need to be fed, put down for naps, the house needs to be puppy-proofed (see number 4), they need entertained and generally take up a great deal of your time. I can honestly say, I do not want children for a few years after having Murphy.
  3. Medical care is of the highest importance. The dogs have been to the vet more in the last 2 months than I have been to the doctor in the last year.
  4. Keeping a clean house is vitally important...because you never know what your puppy might find, like q-tips, your laptop charging cord, your shoes (keep in mind most of these things were not in obvious reachable places)
  5. My puppy loves me. How do I know? Because he has taken a liking to ALL of my delicates. No matter where they are he somehow finds my bras and underwear. Although I have to admit when he runs into the living room with my bra, Andy's laughing and "That's my boy." statements make me giggle.
That's about all I've got for now. I'll post again after I get a new laptop cord and can post on my own computer again. In the meantime maybe Andy will grace us with his presence with some profound post.

1 comment:

  1. My pugs have chewed on and curled up to more pairs of my underwear... I swear, I don't even know how they find them!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete