Friday, September 24, 2010

Just in case

I am a planner. I don't know if I always have been, I would have to ask my Mom if I packed band-aids and triple antibiotic ointment in my Minnie Mouse backpack. Which, come to think of it she mentioned not to long ago (no, not band-aids and ointment, that was a joke)that I am like my Dad, who coincidentally likes to plan things out as well. He is the organization king that I aspire to be. Anyhow, I can say that I have known that I was a planner since my late teens. I like structure, I like being prepared, I like knowing what to expect. That is me...my husband, however, is a go-with-the-flow-fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants guy. He seriously loves to just live minute to minute without any expectations for the day. It use to drive me crazy and I use to drive him crazy. I say "use to" because I think my husband has started to accept that being prepared isn't always a bad thing and I have learned to loosen up a little.  I have learned that living in the moment is a lot more enjoyable and Andy has in turn seen that a little planning can go a long way.

I mention this because I'm sitting here before work looking up details on wait times at Universal Studios and Disney in hopes that we might not waste our precious vacation time in line. I have also already shopped for sunscreen, got our suitcases out of storage and made a packing list for myself. Meanwhile, Andy is well Andy and not getting at all ahead of himself. I don't even think he's excited we're going yet because there are 3 more working days ahead of us (after today of course). It's good though because once we get there, he will remind me to live in the moment, appreciate the fact we're on vacation and remind me to relax and soak it up. It's nice that I married a guy who balances me out.

Any other newlyweds have opposite attitudes or personality traits? What are they? Do they balance each other out or do they drive you both crazy?

1 comment:

  1. We are opposites in that I am messy and he is a clean freak. We try to help each other, and like you guys, balance each other out. It can be hard for him sometimes though!!

    ReplyDelete