Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Newlywed Challenge: The Holidays

It seems like it's that time of year again, the decorations are out in stores, people are making plans and shopping lists, and I log into Weddingbee and see posts about splitting the holidays. I use to love the holidays, spending time with family and friends, tons of food and of course presents. I say use to because this year thinking about the holidays is giving me hives, because I simply have no idea what to do. Splitting the holidays seems to be a big challenge for every couple and we are no exception. It's hard, obviously, you are talking about adding  whole new sets of traditions and places to visit, which logistically and emotionally provides problems. I think as a child I had it pretty sweet, my parents had the holidays figured out to a T, actually, it was more that my parents lucked out.

My grandparents live within ten minutes of each other so for Thanksgiving we would have lunch at one and dinner at the other. For Christmas eve we would head to Grandparent S and stay from early to late afternoon, then the evening would be spent with Grandparents M. We would head off home and spend Christmas morning at our house, just my sisters and parents. It worked out super well. In a perfect world, Andy and I would be able to do something like that but this is not a perfect world and our families live 3+ hours away from each other. Add to that fact that we live 3 hours away from my family and nearly 5 hours away from Andy's family and you see that dinner here, dessert there doesn't work out too hot.  It's frustrating because I want to make everyone happy, but I also have a tiny little part of me that wants to just please me. That part of me is there because it isn't like it use to be, things have changed and it's hard to accept that. More than that I miss my family like crazy. The move has been extremely hard on me because of the time it's taken away from my family, who I am use to seeing on a regular basis. Andy knows how hard it's been on me so he's being extremely patient and kind, telling me that we could separate for Thanksgiving if I really need to see my family by then, but I'm trying to be a mature married lady and present our united front.

So what are we going to do? The answer is simple, I had no idea. So far Thanksgiving is planned out with Andy's family. More than likely we will go to my Grandma's for Christmas Eve and spend Christmas morning with my family then Christmas evening will be ours (which has been our own little tradition for the past three years), but I'm not positive. We have to do another Christmas with my other Grandparents which will be a different day, prior to Christmas Eve, since schedules aren't working in our favor for a one day all-inclusive family fest. Plus we have to do Christmas with Andy's family as well. I know that it will all work out in the end, it's just going to take some careful planning.

What about you? How are your holidays shaping up? Do you have an easy time with the splitting or are your holidays challenging as well?

2 comments:

  1. Ugh--- I feel your pain. And it doesn't get any better. Especially once you add a munchkin into the equation. Don't worry about us in the planning---we can squeeze in whenever works for you guys for Christmas--- maybe Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel ya. Although my whole fam being 13 hours away means his wins most years :( Which I HATE because my fam is clearly more awesome! I hope you can make plans on days NEAR the holiday to see the family members you can't see on the actual day.

    ReplyDelete