Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Big One

This is a post I have been debating about writing for a while, but I have decided that it shouldn't matter to me what other people think. I want to preface this by saying I am not writing this with the intention of offending anyone, it's simply something that is happening in my life and marriage and affects only myself and my husband, no one else, therefore I would appreciate it if negative comments were kept out of the blogosphere.

The longer that Andy and I are married the more the subject of kids pops up, not only between us but also from family and friends. Usually it's just a general talk, a vague notion of the future that has yet to be determined. It is something that I always assumed would happen eventually, as did Andy. All throughout our relationship kids were an abstract thought to be talked about at some point in the future. When we got married that abstract thought turned into a discussion of when, which resulted in "Lets wait 6 months" and when 6 months came about it was "Let's wait a 6 more months" so on and so forth. Until very recently, in which a new question came to light "Should we have kids?"

 Yes, I know, it's kind of shocking, but let me explain. We love kids, we have an adorable nephew that we love to death and another nephew on the way that I am sure we will love just as much. I work with kids practically every day and I love it. We are questioning if we should have kids because to have children (which is probably the most responsibility a person can take on) without really thinking about it seems irresponsible and also because we really enjoy our life right now just the way it is. We live comfortably, we get to travel, go out, and generally do the things we enjoy doing without much interference. I'm sure that it seems selfish, but I am being honest. Our relationship is great and we are not sure we want the general trials and tribulations that having kids brings into a marriage. We realize that for some, kids are wonderful and a blessing but that doesn't mean it is necessary for all couples to have them. I think ultimately it is up to the couple and no one else. I'm sure parents, grandparents, friends, aunts, uncles, cousins, and even the guy on the street have an opinion on this but it all comes down to the couple and for us, we aren't sure.

I can't speak for Andy but I always thought I would have children, always. When I was younger and even at the start of my relationship with Andy, I wanted four kids. Then gradually over time, things changed. I met the man of my dreams, I graduated college, I found a career that I love and while these things happened my idea of how life should go changed. I never question what are society views to be the normal life moments. I always assumed that I would graduate high school, go to college, meet a guy, get married, buy a house and have kids. I never thought I would have an alternate path, primarily because I thought there was no alternate path. However in the last few months that has changed. Andy and I have realized that our lives are our own to do with as we wish and if our wish isn't to have children then that is fine, if it is then that's fine too.

Who knows what the future will bring for us, we may have children, we may not, we may adopt, we may foster, we may not, the fact of the matter is that we haven't decided yet and there is nothing wrong with that.

1 comment:

  1. Tali,
    Don't forget 1) you're still "newly" married. 2) you're still young! 3) the decision is definitely yours (and Andy's) because it's your everyday life that you'll have to deal with. There's absolutely nothing wrong with holding off the decision (even if right now is "maybe some day," it could always change to, "it's not for us.") Even if other people (i.e. family) get angry.. they'll get over it and will love you either way!

    ReplyDelete