Wednesday, October 12, 2011

DIY: Book Mobile Part 2

If you missed it, see part one here.

Once we got the dowels into place we had to secure them somehow, we decided that Gorilla Glue was the best method. I don't have any pictures of this part, sorry (no cookie for the blogger). What we did was force the dowels through the holes and just before they hit the wood we wet both the bottom of the table and the dowel and put the glue down and forced the two together. We then just had to weight it down while it cured. We let this sit overnight so that it was fully cured before we filled the top of the dowel rod holes with wood putty but we could have moved into filling the holes after a few hours.

We just filled the holes with wood filler and a putty knife and just smoothed it out. We had to wait again to let that dry, then after several hours there were a couple holes we had to go over the holes again, then finally we had to sand the entire top of the table with some fine grit sand paper. 


Once that was done we I was too impatient to wait until I painted the whole thing and let it dry to add the casters so we just screwed those in before I painted it. Once that was done I painted the top, dowels, bottom and sides in Glidden Toasted White. 
Looks pretty great, huh? Here is a shot with it holding some books.

I am thrilled with how this project turned out. I have some minor tweaks to work out (like getting the paint out of the metal pieces on the top) but over all it turned out great.

Now the break down of project cost and time:

Project Cost
  • Spool- free thanks to Home Depot
  • 3/4" dowels- 4 x $3.50 = $14
  • Glidden Paint-1 Quart $7.00
  • Casters- 3 x $6.00= $18.00
  • Gorilla Glue, Paint Bushes, Wood putty and putty knife, sand paper, tools- free, we already had everything
Total Cost: $39.00

Not too shabby, but I must say, I was really picky about what casters I used, if I hadn't been the cost would have been a lot less.

Estimated Time of Project Completion
  • Hammer down nails and filling with wood filler- 1/2 hour
  • Measure and drill holes for dowels- 1/2 hour
  • Cut dowels to size- 1/4 hour
  • Secure dowels- 5 hours (this includes glue curing time)
  • Fill tops of dowel rod holes- 4 hours (this includes dry time for wood putty)
  • Sand top of table- 1/4 hour
  • Secure Casters- 1/4 hour
  • Paint- 1 hour
Total Time: 11 hours 45 minutes
There you have it, now I am ready to move on to the next project! Just have to figure out which one.

No comments:

Post a Comment