Monday, October 31, 2011

The Pros and Cons of Building

We have found there are certain pros and cons to building with a company like M/I Homes (versus building on your own, or even just buying).
  • Pro: Plot is included with the price of the house
  • Con: Because plot is included it isn't very big.
  • Pro: Models are available in many communities to see what the house will actually look like.
  • Con: Because there are limited amount of layouts to choose from, many houses look the same.
  • Pro:Wonderful community feeling.
  • Con: Communities are limited to where they build so you are limited in the choice of where you live.
  • Pro: Selections are limited and streamlined so it is easier and less stressful.
  • Cons: Limited selections means you may not get exactly what you want.
I could go on and on but I won't. Obviously we could find pros and cons whichever way we went housing wise but we found that the pros of building with M/I outweighed every other option we had at the time. Given the fact that we could get a brand new house for the same price as one on the market. Not only would it be brand new, we could get exactly (or at least pretty close to what we wanted) and also get more time to save  for closing and all the stuff that you need when you move into a new place. 

How did you select your first house?

1 comment:

  1. Our decision really just came down to money. When we started house hunting two years ago, I initially said I did NOT want to build a house. I wanted something with more character that was more unique and established and already had a fence for the dog. But then we started looking at established houses and we were finding NOTHING we liked in our price range. The houses we could afford in nice neighborhoods were old or badly redone and they just needed sooo much work. And I wasn't sure we'd have the budget to buy a house + renovate away the terrible maroon carpeting or rebuild a crumbling deck or whatever.

    Then my brother suggested looking at new homes (which I assumed would be more expensive) and shockingly they were waaaaay less expensive than established homes for what they were. Our house is 4 bedrooms and 2600 sq feet which is bigger than any other house we looked at. Plus it was brand new, home warranty, etc, and it was about 30k less than my top pick (smaller) established house. I liked this community, and it was a spec house (already built and just ready for sale) so we wouldn't have to wait and we got a discount for buying before the end of 2009. It did mean we didn't get to pick the finishes (although I *mostly* like what they picked), and we moved into a community that was only 1/3 of the way built (so annoying). But the bottom line was that I loved the house itself and it was just way nicer, and way cheaper, than anything we could get as an established house.

    p.s. sorry i keep posting comments under different names. blogger hates me and won't let me use any given log-in consistently.

    -Corgi/Rachel

    ReplyDelete