Something really strange happened to me yesterday and I can't stop thinking about it. Before I dive in, let me give you the story.
Yesterday I had to work and Andy was sick. On my way home I called and asked if he wanted anything, he requested broccoli cheddar soup. I decided to hit Panera on my way home for him and I would get Chipotle for myself. Panera was easy enough, but when I got to Chipotle the line was outrageously long and very slow going. It took almost 20 minutes to get through the line and as I was getting ready to pay the guy in front of me asks if I want chips or a drink, which seemed really strange to me. He then told the lady running the cash register that he was paying for both our orders. When I told him he didn't have to do that, he said that he knew he didn't, but the line was so long and he just wanted to do something nice. This really shocked me. This guy and I had shared no pleasantries, we had merely stood in line together for a time. Yet he paid for my meal. I thanked him and he walked out to his car and left. Some thoughts that ran through my mind were "Do I look poor?" "Do I look like I'm having a bad day?" "Was he trying to hit on me?" (I believe the answer is no to all three), I just had to wonder. I know that people do nice things, I realize that this happens, I just was surprised is all. I keep thinking about it and it makes me smile. What a wonderful random act of kindness, so simple but so sweet. It really makes me think about ways I could brighten someone's day with just a simple act. I'm looking forward to passing it on.
Have you ever been the recipient of a random act of kindness?
How We’re Organizing Our Digitized Photos
4 weeks ago
Aw, that is so nice! I try to be nice to people in little ways throughout the day but I've never paid for someone else's meal, what a nice guy! Also, you should download the Chipotle app. The one here on broad is always SLAMMED and I haven't waited in line since I figured out I can just order ahead of time and stroll in to pick up my order and be in and out in under 5 minutes :)
ReplyDelete